Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Pictured Rocks

From the ages of 14-27 I spent every summer at camp except two.   One of those Summers I went to Africa.  I most likely will share some stories about Africa at some point, but not today.  This is a story about an adventure I had the Summer I stayed home.

That Summer I decided to be "responsible" and take a couple of classes at the local community college to make up for some classes that I had failed.  I also worked a job doing maintenance at college.   It was not a fun Summer. I fumbled through my classes.  I got up every morning and worked my job.  The silver lining was at the end of the summer my friend and I were planning a two week backpacking trip to Pictured Rocks.

The day we left we got a late start.  We had several things to do before leaving town.  I don't really remember what they were, but they were important.  We finally left by late afternoon.  By the time we crossed the Mackinaw Bridge it was starting to get dark.  We found a quiet little campground to spend the night.  In the middle of the night we learned why the campground was so quiet, a train came through the middle about every hour!  Tired and cranky from lack of sleep we got up and headed to the visitors center to check in and reserve our campsites.

Finally we were on our way!  We parked at the trailhead. My friend gracefully put her backpack on. I put my pack on but wasn't quite ready for the weight of a two week pack.  My knees buckled, I tried to catch myself and managed to fall to my knees before falling face forward and landing on my chin.  I hurt everywhere.  My knees hurt, my head was pounding.  I felt the blood.  I tried to get up but it was difficult as I had a 40lb backpack on my back.   For some reason there  was something in my mouth, as I managed to sit up all I could think was "Get thing out of mouth". Meanwhile my friend was appropriately flipping out and trying to help - grabbing her first aid kit. As I began to spit,my  friend says "Why are you spitting blood?"  I finally managed to spit out the object, only to realize it was a part of my tooth.  When I had fallen I managed to bite my tongue hard enough to pierce it with one of my top teeth, chipping it on a bottom tooth.

We went into the bathroom and began cleaning the gravel out of my chin.  I really have to give my friend all the credit here, she did amazing.  She was brave, she was gentle and she cleaned the hole in my chin.  We realized we were far away from any kind of med center or hospital.  We could go home,  we maybe should have, but remember how awful my Summer had been?  This was my one trip, my one bit of happiness before another year of school. We decided to give it one night.

After making a little detour to a gas station to stock up on gauze and Neosporin, we headed into the wilderness.  It was beautiful there were waterfalls, cliffs overlooking the lake, and nature wonderful nature.  That first day we changed my gauze often, and gave me Tylenol every four hours on the dot.  We finally arrived at our campsite in the early evening.  As we walked up to the community fire ring one inebriated woman bluntly stated "You fell forward didn't you?"  So we told the epic tale.  That night when my friend was asleep I realized I was in a lot of pain.  I decided in the morning we would go home.  I fell asleep with the peace that at least I tried.

The next morning I woke up.  I had slept well and my chin didn't really hurt to bad.  It felt like a skinned knee.   There was a still a large "hole" as my friend called it but, I decided I could go on.  So we did.  Our two week hike was filled with great memories.  We met many interesting people, the gauze on my chin always being a great icebreaker. We saw amazing views, and we relaxed. I learned a lot on that trip.  I learned the importance of  keeping a lighter backpack.  I learned more about God by viewing his creation.  I learned how to pray better.  I learned that hotdog are by far my most favorite food.  I learned that with determination and persistence you can do anything.  Most importantly I learned how to be patient and rely on someone else to take care of me, and that I had a friend for life.

The following Spring my friend got married, and I worked at camp again.  I have never again gone on that big of a trip again, but my friend and I have been able to enjoy many smaller weekend trips.  She is my number one hiking pal!  We have taken her kids and my nephews and nieces on trips. We will never forget our trip to Pictured Rocks though and this Summer we plan to go back for a week. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment